We do not currently allow superuser access to Timescale Cloud PostgreSQL services. Most of the actions typically done as a superuser can be performed in a different way in Timescale Cloud.
tsdbadmin database user has permissions to do most of the usual DB management operations, for example:
- Managing databases (CREATE DATABASE , DROP DATABASE )
- Creating database users (CREATE USER/ROLE , DROP USER/ROLE )
- Creating extensions in databases (CREATE EXTENSION )
- Managing access permissions (GRANT , REVOKE )
- Logical replication as it has the REPLICATION privilege
Databases and users can also be managed from the Timescale Cloud web console or though our REST API.
You can use the grant system to limit access to different users. Various commands, such as the
TRUNCATE command do not require superuser rights at all but you'll be able to limit its use to your main user account in the DB.
A number of extensions can be installed in Timescale Cloud PostgreSQL databases without superuser access, please see the list of extensions for more information.